Monday, February 22, 2010

Madness Monday - Delbert Burns

So, I have been looking at GeneaBloggers today and am going to start incorporating some of their daily/weekly topics into my blog so that y'all dont just have to hear me whine about how my work is never ending LOL :) So, the monday topic is Madness Monday - either write about someone in your tree who was mad (you know psychotic lol) or someone in your tree that is driving you mad for whatever reason. So - since I have not found anyone who was Mad yet - please note the yet because now I am on a quest!! Today we will look at Delbert Burns. He is my maternal grandmother's brother. Here is what I know, what I think I know, what the family thinks they know, and why I cannot wait for april 2012.
What I know:
He was born in 1908 in Illinois. His father was Charles Thomas Burns (1875-1967) and his mother was Laura Whitehouse (1880-1923). His sisters were Artie Fern Burns (1911-1925) and Jessie Jane Burns (1912-1982). Jessie was my grandmother.
What I think I know:
I believe I found him on the 1930 US Federal Census in Wisconsin > Iowa > Cobb > District 7 > Page 4 as a lodger/hired hand living with Ulysses, Mary and Clarence Callow. Ulysses and Clarence are brothers.
What the family thinks they know:
From what the family has been able to tell me, after Laura died in 1923 Charles put both Artie (who was in a wheelchair) and Jesse into the Girls Welfare Home in Decatur, IL as he felt he was not equipped to raise girls without their mother. Charles was supposedly very abusive to Delbert and when Delbert was around 17 he left and was never seen or heard from again.
Why I cannot wait for April 2012:
this is when we will get our first looks into the 1940 census records. Hopefully I will be able to find some Delbert Burns there to look into.
But for now, Delbert is a huge source of madness to me. I would love to find out what happened to him before my Aunt Ginny passes away - not that I think this will be any time soon, but still.
So, until tomorrow,
Peace and Luv,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment